Monday, June 21, 2010

Running In The Rain


I joined the Rock and Run last Saturday and all the runners were soaked in rainwater upon crossing the finish line. It was an unforgettable experience for me as it was the first run I joined where the rain poured. That incident prompted me to check on rain gears and the like as the rainy season has finally checked in. I didn't want to be caught up again running under the rain with just my regular running clothes on. That incident also brought back memories when I used to run with just my knickers on when I was little. LOL! All for the sake of fun...

When I started running outdoors, I started hating the bore that is to run indoors. I now loathe the thought of running on a treadmill. I would like to feel the wind against my face and not feel the blasting AC. As I read up on essential gears and I am sharing them all to you now:

1. Dress in Layers if It's Cold
If it's very cold and rainy, you may need to wear a couple of layers. The most important layer is the one closest to your body. Make sure it's a technical fabric such as polypropylene or CoolMax, which wick water and sweat away from your skin. Your outer layer should be a wind- and water-resistant jacket or vest. Don't wear a waterproof rain slicker because it will trap moisture and heat.

2. Wear a Hat
A hat with a brim can be your best friend during a rainy run. It will keep the rain off your face.

3. Don't Overdress
This is one the biggest mistakes runners make when heading out for a rainy run. Wearing more layers will not keep you dry. Unless you're running with an umbrella over your head, you will definitely get wet. If you have tons of layers on, you will just be wearing more wet, heavy clothes. Dress for the temperature, as if it were a dry day.

4. Be Visible
Select an outer layer that's light-colored or has reflective strips, since running in the rain often means poor visibility.

5. Prevent Chafing
If you're running long, spread Body Glide or Vaseline on parts of your body where you would normally chafe or get blisters -- such as your feet, inner thighs, underarms, sports bra lines (women), and nipples (men).

6. Just Run!
The hardest part of running in the rain is often just getting started. Once you begin running and warm up, you may find that you actually enjoy it! And it's good preparation in case you ever have to run a race in the rain.

7. Dry Out Your Shoes
When you get back from a wet run, take off your running shoes and stuff them with crumpled balls of newspaper. This helps the shoes keep their shape, and the paper draws moisture away from the shoes.

Although I enjoyed my first real run in the rain, I did not come prepared. I endured chafing on my underarm and now it is healing. I was able to put cocoa moisturizer in between my thighs so it was safe. I sure know better what to do next time. Thank you to Christine Luff for the aforementioned tips.

1 comment:

arcellgonzalez said...

Running in the rain is really melodious title and it is attractive also so that all people like to read it because most of all people likes rain.
running tights