Monday, February 22, 2010

How to Prevent Blisters?

Have you ever tried running in pain because of blisters? I have never tried thank goodness and I pray I would have blister-free running all my life (I do get blisters in stilettos though). Everyone knows what a blister looks like I suppose and everyone at some point in their lives have tried and felt the uncomfortable feeling this wee little bump brings. Blisters are small swelling of the skin that contains watery fluid. They are caused by friction. The body responds to the friction by producing fluid. The fluid builds up beneath the part of the skin being rubbed, causing pressure and pain.



Blisters occur when feet get hot, sweaty and socks stick to the feet. Fluid fills up a space between layers of skin to protect the area, like a small balloon. That's how a blister forms. Blisters are a common problem with athletes wearing in new shoes. They are also a common problem for athletes, runners and walkers who participate in exceptionally long events such as marathons or long hill walks.

If at all this helps, what keeps me blister-free is this unfashionable practice but it is such a live-saver. I cut a strip of Moleskin (nope the notebook) adhesive strip and then put it in blister-prone areas of my foot and then seal it with a strip of electrical tape. I usually use Dr. Scholl's Moleskin Plus Padding. It is soft and smooth cotton flannel padding and yes, it cuts to size (very convenient). It can be bought in regular as well as specialty drugstores. It has always worked for me and I am sure it will work for you too.

Of course, there are some other ways to prevent blisters:

Wear shoes that fit properly.
Keep feet as dry as possible.
Wearing wet shoes, boots and socks will increase your chance of developing blisters.
Change socks regularly.
Use foot powder to help keep your feet dry.

Do you have a blister story? Have you tried running with blisters on your foot?

Always remember to keep your feet happy and cared for. You will get more mileage with a happy pair of feet.


NOTE: This post does not aim to endorse any product and is not a paid post. I am just sharing what worked for me and that may work for you too.

No comments: