Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Marathon Training Day 3

I decided to move my rest day today because I was too sleepy to be able to muster a few kilometers and run. I will resume full interval workout tomorrow early in the morning. I will just be dropping my gym bag in my locker at the gym and then head straight beside the bay to have some outdoor running session.

I was actually discussing with someone earlier today that I think I needed an outdoor environment to simulate what I am going to encounter for the real day. I can't always be inside the gym running on the treadmill. I plan to run at least 5K tomorrow outdoors and then run for another 5K max indoors if I could still cut it. Or just simply replace the indoor run with the following depending on my energy level tomorrow:

The Perfect 20-Minute Workout Plan


*2 minutes March in place (or from locker room to weight bench).
*2 minutes Squat (butt, legs): Hold a dumbbell in each hand, arms by sides, and squat. Do 20 reps. Rest for 30 seconds.
*2 minutes Full or modified push-up (arms, chest, core): Do 25 reps.
*2 minutes Alternating lunge (butt, legs): Hold dumbbells, arms by sides, and lunge, alternating legs each time. Do 20 reps on each side
*2 minutes Jog in place.
*2 minutes Deadlift (back, butt, hamstrings): Hold dumbbells with palms facing thighs, knees slightly bent and back straight. Bend forward from hips. Stand up, pushing through hips. Do 20 reps.
*2 minutes Dumbbell press (shoulders): Stand with feet shoulder-width apart, knees slightly bent, back straight, dumbbells at shoulders, palms forward. Push arms overhead; lower. Do 15 reps
*2 minutes Jumping jacks
*2 minutes Bent-over row (shoulders, back): Hold dumbbells, palms facing in. Bend knees slightly and hinge forward from hips, back straight. Pull elbows up to ribs, keeping arms close to sides; lower. Do 20 reps.
*2 minutes Basic crunch (abs): Do 25 reps.

Quick Tip

Run with a friend. If she's slower than you, focus on perfecting your stride by landing lightly on your heels, then rolling forward to push off on your toes. If she's faster, pushing yourself beyond your comfort zone one or two days per week will help you get stronger. Either way, distraction and conversation will help the miles fly by.

***If anyone out there is interested to be my running buddy, let me know.

Tomorrow will be shopping time for some running gear and a pink workout gloves. Shopping by the way, is another form of exercise. :-)



No comments: